With my son expecting his son, I decided to try my hand at making a wool diaper cover.
I researched like crazy and just ended up feeling overwhelmed, and a bit disappointed at the options. There are many cute ones out there, but my budget of $10 didn’t get me much!
I could buy a pattern but then how could I pay for yarn? I couldn’t find a cover ready made that I loved AND could afford with shipping, and even buying great yarn was a bit out of reach.
So I just decided to make my own. I wanted it to be easy, practical and affordable, and especially for a boy!
Here’s my (mostly) finished 100% wool diaper cover soaker!
I made it from one skein of Pattons Classic Wool, which I bought at Michael’s. I paid $6~ +tax, but I got a coupon for 50% off my next one. So I can make one at a time for $4~.
I took notes and snapped pics of the inside stitching so I can make a tutorial. It’s extra thick at the boy part, and I made gussets at the legs to help prevent run-out accidents.
I have to put buttons on still, but I love how it turned out. I thought of vintage football and boxing when I finished.
Without a baby at home, and not even a diaper, I used one of my girls’ dolls as my model. It fit pretty good, and it’s easy to adjust by adding a couple rows, wrapping tighter/looser or changing the buttons.
I made this cover in one afternoon using trial and error. I’m going to give it a hot wash and treat it with lanolin before I send it off.
I’ll take measurements and put those in the tutorial too.
I had fun trying it out. I got a great idea for making a girl soaker while doing this one. I may use my coupon to do that next and then donate it to my local pregnancy resource center.
I hope this inspires you to create something too!