Little Bitty Crochet Cowboy Hat

After much trial and error, reading too many patterns and frogging no less than 5 half-completed attempts, I finished my first baby hat. Finally.

I used this pattern and it took a couple hours.

 

ittybittycowboyhat
The hat looks so much better when it’s next to a face!

It took all my will to push through to the last stitch, and I had to walk away for an hour to resist frogging the whole thing!

I’m a tough critic. Always thinking it can be better.

After some time away, I liked it better.

I stitched really tight at first then loosened up, so the crown shapes easily without water. It looked better on than off, thanks to my girls trying it on the dog and a doll.
I’ll be ripping it out this weekend and going for a bigger version. I like the yarn I used, just leftovers from my stash but it reminds me of a raffia hat.

I’ll make this again if I can figure out how to adjust the size.  I’m working on a new spreadsheet for sizing hats, like the one I did for diaper covers.

Hopefully I can get that and the one for booties up soon. Stay tuned.

I hope this inspires you to try creating something too!

Love,

Momma

Advertisements

Diaper Cover Crochet calculator

As I’ve been working up my ideas for the new grandbaby, I have noticed that there doesn’t seem to be a good, easy way to figure out what size a diaper cover needs to be in single crochet stitches and rows.

So I made one. I made it in google sheets and just thought maybe someone else would find it helpful.

diaper_cov_calc_scr

I made it so you can input the waist in inches, then the leg, then the rise, and it will automatically calculate how many stitches and rows you will need to make. I used a 4″ gauge just to keep it simple, so that 4 stitches of single crochet = 4 inches, and same with 4 rows = 4 inches.

Here’s the link

If you like this and find it helpful, can you let me know in the comments?

Thanks and hope this idea inspires you to create something new too!

Love,
Momma

Wool Diaper Soaker for Boys

photo of green wool diaper soaker with toy football

With my son expecting his son, I decided to try my hand at making a wool diaper cover.

I researched like crazy and just ended up feeling overwhelmed, and a bit disappointed at the options. There are many cute ones out there, but my budget of $10 didn’t get me much!

I could buy a pattern but then how could I pay for yarn? I couldn’t find a cover ready made that I loved AND could afford with shipping, and even buying great yarn was a bit out of reach.

So I just decided to make my own. I wanted it to be easy, practical and affordable, and especially for a boy!

photo of green wool diaper soaker with toy football
This little soaker has extra-extra padding where boys need it

Here’s my (mostly) finished 100% wool diaper cover soaker!

I made it from one skein of Pattons Classic Wool, which I bought at Michael’s. I paid $6~ +tax, but I got a coupon for 50% off my next one. So I can make one at a time for $4~.

I took notes and snapped pics of the inside stitching so I can make a tutorial. It’s extra thick at the boy part, and I made gussets at the legs to help prevent run-out accidents.

I have to put buttons on still, but I love how it turned out. I thought of vintage football and boxing when I finished.

Without a baby at home, and not even a diaper, I used one of my girls’ dolls as my model. It fit pretty good, and it’s easy to adjust by adding a couple rows, wrapping tighter/looser or changing the buttons.

I made this cover in one afternoon using trial and error. I’m going to give it a hot wash and treat it with lanolin before I send it off.

I’ll take measurements and put those in the tutorial too.

I had fun trying it out. I got a great idea for making a girl soaker while doing this one. I may use my coupon to do that next and then donate it to my local pregnancy resource center.

I hope this inspires you to create something too!

Love,

Momma